Anchor (from the English Anchor, or anchor) is the visible text part of the link HTML, which is located directly inside the <a> tag and serves for the convenience of the user. In simple words, an anchor is this text link.
This is an example of code with an anchor:
<p><a href=”images/myphoto.jpg”>Я змінила. ІМІДЖ. Оцініть мій новий лук!</a></p>
<p><a href=”look.html”>Хочете такий самий палантин, як у мене на фотці?</a></p>
Each link can have its own and independent text. It looks like this on the website page:
The link can be without text at all, such links are called unanchored.
Types of anchors
Conditionally, it is possible to classify according to the presence / absence of a key phrase in them:
- Anchor links. It URL with visible text. It can contain key phrases, brand queries, information words (link, go, source).
- Unanchored links. Such URLs have visible link text that simply renders the URL path to the landing page.
In turn, all URLs can also be divided by the occurrence of a key phrase in the anchor: the phrase can have a direct or indirect occurrence. If the anchor list of your site consists mainly of keywords in direct entry, this is not very good: search engines may identify such links as unnatural, and they will not have any effect for promotion.
The overall ratio of anchored and non-anchored links in the site profile is important. If you do not want to arouse the suspicion of search engines, aim for the share of anchor links not to exceed 10-15%, and the share of unanchored links - 60-65%.
In anchor links, the ratio of direct and diluted keys is also important. The share of anchors that use direct occurrences of search phrases should not exceed 20% of the remaining anchor links. Of course, this is a rather thin line, but the specified ratio can be considered quite safe.
Pay attention to the ratio of informational and commercial words. A natural profile cannot consist entirely of commercial anchors.
Questions - answers
Why do links need an anchor?
Thanks to it, the user has a complete idea of which page he will go to when he clicks on it. That's why the link text should be natural and completely relevant. Otherwise, the user can immediately leave the landing page.
Why anchor is important for SEO?
The site's position in search results can be influenced by links from thematically relevant, quality and trusted donors.
Referral signals still play a significant role in the search engine ranking formula. And without good reference support in some subjects, it is impossible to occupy the TOP-10.
What is the surrounding reference text?
The text around the links should relate to the topic of the page to which it links, this adds naturalness and increases the topic.
The main purpose of the surrounding text is to improve the perception of links and add naturalness to them. It can also be used to breed links with overtly commercial anchors.
How to insert an anchor link in the text?
To add link text, use the following template:
<a href="https://your-site.com">вставити текст</a>
Don't forget to change domain to the required site and replace the text itself.
If you want to make the link an image instead of text, use tag <img>. Так само, як і в попередньому випадку: href задає шлях до сторінки, а атрибут “src” – шлях до image. A link that uses an image as an anchor might look like this:
<a href="https://your-site.com"><img src ="image/donut.jpg" alt = "текст посилання"></a>
Here too, don't forget to change the domain + image link to your options.
Where to get ideas for new anchors and how to optimize them?
Use services to select a search engine semantics:
- Google Keyword Planner
- Semantics from Google Trends
- and other.
Properly optimized link text can increase clickability and increase the number of conversions to the recipient site.
How to write a text for an anchor?
We will give some useful recommendations that will allow you to create the correct, from the point of view of search engines, anchor text:
- No spam. This applies to everything related to links, especially their anchors. A key phrase in a direct entry is less preferable than in a diluted one. Spam is also about the number of links on one page. Some webmasters slightly change and post links (two or more times) on the same page or use completely repeating anchor text on several pages at once. Such methods also belong to search spam.
- Length. Many optimizers agree that the number of words should not exceed two or three words. But, of course, these are more conditional restrictions. Yes, you can find much longer in Wikipedia.
- Grammatical errors and readability. Do not take search phrases that are simply copied without additional verification - they may contain errors. When adding words and working with search phrases, pay close attention to conjugations, verb forms, and the general consistency of words with each other.
- Landing page relevance. The text should fully match the content to which the link leads - thematically and preferably intently, if this plays a role in the case of your particular anchor.